Sunday, November 19, 2017

High tide

Once again, work and school have crested simultaneously and, for obvious reasons, work is winning.

The annoying thing is that the last few production issues at work have had nothing to do with our new platform. It's been the legacy stuff that's been acting up. I'll be happy when we can retire all of that, but I'm afraid that's at least a year away. Legacy systems don't die without a fight.

I do expect to be completely free from work concerns during my trip back to Ithaca next week. I may get a chance to do some research at Cornell's math library. I'm not sure how much I can get done in a single day there, but it would certainly make sense to try. Of course, the real point of the trip is to see my mom and sister. I don't think hiding in a library all week is a particularly good way to demonstrate that I care that my dad just died.

None of this has me particularly stressed. I expect that some weeks will be productive and others won't. That said, I really would like to get past my admission to candidacy sooner rather than later. It's a fairly arbitrary hurdle, but it has the effect of clarifying expectations for the rest of the dissertation. Right now, I still feel a bit unsettled as to how much work remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment