Saturday, March 14, 2015

Pi day

Well, it wouldn't be much of a math blog without at least mention of Pi Day. Particularly this year, as you can go to as many digits as you want (3/14/15 9:26:53.358979...). Of course, if you're like me and worked on some Y2K projects in the late 90's, you may still have difficulty writing a 2-digit year.

I'm not much for gimmicky celebrations, but this one really seemed appropriate. So, in for a penny, in for a pound. I served pi (bacon-spinach quiche) for breakfast at 9:26:


Yes, the "6" is backwards. I really am dyslexic and didn't catch it until it was too late. Fortunately, dyslexia and left-handedness have both been linked to proficiency in math, so I'll embrace it.

We had leftover pizza pi (salmon topping and a cream sauce from last night's lenten observance) for lunch. For dinner, it was shepard's pi (ironically, in a non-circular casserole):


And, at 9:26PM, the pumpkin pi was cool enough to cut and top with whipped cream!


Just for the record, I think memorizing digits of pi is about as silly as it gets. If 22/7 isn't good enough, break out a calculator.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually 3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83280 to 30 places. Memorized it in high school, and still find it useful as an occasional password.

    Figured it was the least I could do, since I was born 3/14/1941.

    ReplyDelete