Monday, May 30, 2016

Memorial Day

As the son of immigrants who were not in the military, I don't have any direct connection to anyone who lost their life while fighting for the United States. Frankly, I don't have any real connection with fallen soldiers from anywhere else, either. I'm a typical mix of Irish, Scotch, and English. They have been hacking at each other for centuries, so I'm sure a few of my ancestors died in battle, but I know nothing of them. My Grandfather had a brother killed in WWI; that's the most recent casualty that comes to mind.

That's why I was glad we spent a good chunk of today at the Elks. Kate is a member of BPOE#9, here in St. Louis. Aside from being a good time (the Elks make no apologies for mixing socializing with their mission), it's nice to be involved with an organization that supports veterans and their families. A number of the folks there are veterans and several have children in active duty. I made a point of indicating my appreciation. I'm very much against war, but I surely do understand that, if it comes to that, you really want your folks doing the fighting knowing you are behind them.




No comments:

Post a Comment