Thursday, May 4, 2017

Last class ever?

Well, last graded class, perhaps. Today was the final class for both Set Theory and Evolutionary Algorithms. It's certainly conceivable that I'll take another class in an actual classroom for credit. But, most likely, I won't. All my remaining PhD credits will likely be directed research and I don't see why I'd take any other class for a grade.

Of course, it's not like I'll never set in a "class" again. One doesn't last long in my field without continually learning stuff. That often involves sitting in on a seminar or even a formal training course. Even as part of my journey at UMSL, I'll certainly attend lectures and colloquiums. But those aren't really the same thing as a true graded class.

I don't mind taking classes, but I surely won't miss exams. It's not that I'm bad at them; I just don't like them. Exams force you to put down bad answers. I don't like doing that. There are times in life when you have to make a call on the spot. But, unless we're talking trivial decisions, that's by far the exception rather than the rule. The common adult pattern is to take some time if you need it to get the answer right. Exams don't let you do that.  I'll be really happy next week to know that I'll probably not have to take an exam ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment