Friday, December 1, 2017

New hours

I'm once again feeling like progress is stuck. A few weeks ago, I felt quite differently. I don't think it's any coincidence that I felt like things were going well after I had pulled a couple all-nighters to get some stuff knocked out.

As a pentagenarian, I can't do that on a regular basis. So, I talked to my VP about shifting my work hours to open up some larger blocks of time. I can slide reading a paper in around things, but to actually get my own work done, I need to be able to focus for at least a day.

The plan is that I'll stay a bit later during the early part of the week and then leave before lunch on Friday. That will allow me to meet with my adviser and then stay late at the library. Should be good for 8-10 hours of concentrated effort. I'll also carve out one other night a week (probably Tuesday or Wednesday) where I stay late at work. Oddly enough, my "workspace" at "work" is actually well suited to efficiently getting "work" done.

The remainder of my 20 hours of schoolwork will be the aforementioned sliding in reading a paper at lunch or in the evening at home.

At least, that's the plan. I tried it out today and it didn't go very well because my adviser wasn't available and I had to get back home to feed Yaya. But, it's a good plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment