Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Storyboard

My adviser wants me to put more text around the figures in the paper. Fair enough, if it's worth a graph, it's worth a concise caption. But, then it occurred to me that I might be able to do better than that.

Many of the people I've discussed this problem with are really struggling with what, exactly the problem is. These aren't poorly informed folks. It's just that multidimensional queries are typically done on fairly small (as in, less than a Terabyte) data sets, so very little effort has been put into looking at their asymptotic performance other than to note that it's not uncommon for these things to literally run for days.

So, embracing the idea that a picture is worth a thousand words, I've decided to group all my figures together with sufficient captions that someone with a basic knowledge of data organization could follow the main points of the paper just by looking through the figures. Of course, that would be a very superficial review, but sometimes that's what a person wants. It will basically serve as an illustrated abstract. For those who want the thousands of words, they are, of course, provided.

I've been working on this for the last couple of days and I like where it's going. I should have something tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment