Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Putting the re back in research

As in, search the searching that other people have done.

I may have got a bit ahead of myself. When I started working on CISS two years ago, the path forward seemed very clear. On that particular item, it still does. It will make a great white paper published on some trade site. It probably wouldn't make it through peer review, and I doubt I'll bother adding a bunch of unnecessary theory to fix that. I can insert it as a chapter in the dissertation or just let it stand on it's own in the professional literature.

The problem is that I was spending all my directed readings classes working on that instead of doing what I should have been doing: directed readings. Now that I'm knee deep in theory, I'm coming up short. So, some actual research is in order. I think I have enough (with a bit of cramming) to get this paper out the door. After that, I'm going to need to put my own ideas down for a few months and really dig into the academic literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment