Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Complementary slammage

After the Algorithms midterm, we had a bit of a lull at school. The only outstanding assignment was a pretty trivial one from Languages. Meanwhile, work is at peak for the year. The preliminary close of financial plan was last Friday which had us working OT both during the week and through the weekend to deliver the calculations to Corp Modeling. Add to that the fact that I'm leading this alternative technology stack pilot and it's been a pretty busy month.

I don't see that changing real soon. With the first close behind us, work should go back to normal 40 hour weeks, but the next round of assignments is out and we have another exam in Languages next week. As long as the peaks in one match the valleys in the other, I'm holding on OK, but it is certainly stressful.

That's not an entirely bad thing. Stress is fuel. Like all combustibles, you have to manage it or you burn out. But properly managed, it can drive you to things you've never done before. All that said, about 3PM today, I looked out the window and decided that the only person that cared if I got any reading in today or knocked out a few extra tasks at work was me. I hopped on the bike and got in a ride before dark. Can't make that call too often, but not making it at all would be equally disastrous.

No comments:

Post a Comment