Sunday, November 22, 2015

Plan for the break

As an undergrad at RIT, I didn't have to deal with breaks in a semester. RIT uses a quarter system and they run a straight 10 weeks except for winter quarter, which has a 2-week break around Christmas/New Year's. I never figured out how to use that effectively so, after my second year, I worked fall/winter quarters and went to school spring/summer. This also had the effect of maximizing my income as Taylor Instrument paid for a nice holiday break.

At Cornell, there was a spring break but, as a full time grad student, I was pretty oblivious of it.

UMSL gets a fall break during Thanksgiving week. Then, we'll have the final two weeks before exams. I'd like to make the most of this, so I put together a "training plan" for the break.

Monday: Algorithms reading and a start on the final homework.
Tuesday: Finish Reading for both Algorithms and Languages.
Wednesday: AM: work on Algorithms homework. PM: Concentration drills using exercises in Algorithms text.
Thursday: Finish first draft of Algorithms homework.
Friday: AM: Concentration drills using exercises in Algorithms text. PM: Languages exercises from text.
Saturday: Off.
Sunday: AM: Check Algorithms homework. PM: Languages exercises.

It will be interesting to see how close I can stay to this. I'm really good at following physical training plans; I have less practice being disciplined about academics.

No comments:

Post a Comment