Sunday, September 17, 2017

Fall eventing

Nobody believes that I'm entering races just for the experience. Sadly, I'm not included in "nobody".

Anyway, I'm happier and more productive if I'm running, even if the competitive results aren't what I'm used to. I've decided to enter a few fall "events". As these are all fairly close to home, I'll probably succumb to expectations and end up running them full-on and then getting depressed. Such is life.

Rock Bridge Revenge 50K, October 7. This is one I've wanted to do for quite some time. I've run most of the trails at Rock Bridge State Park in Columbia. It's a slow trail, but very pretty. Also has some extraordinarily cool rock features (one, Devil's Ice Box, is literally quite cool). Of course, I won't have much chance to check out the surrounding in any detail at 50K pace, but it's still a great place to run. Also, I don't have much of a rep in Columbia, so there won't be any pressure.

Gumbo Flats Pumpkin Run 10K, October 21. I probably won't' be fully recovered from Rock Bridge, but I want to get some sort of reading on my fitness so I can decide whether I'll actually run...

Pere Marquette Endurance Trail Run, December 9. This is the big one. Last year convinced me that I really shouldn't do this if I'm not ready to really run. I just have too much history at this event. I've never finished in the top 10, but last year was the first time in a loooong time that I was outside the top 20. I was not as OK with that as I first thought.

I might also run the Possum Trot on November 19 but, unlike the other events listed, that's a whole weekend affair and I don't think my schedule will stand for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment