Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Directed study

This isn't a done deal, but it looks like I'm going to switch from the CS concentration to Statistics at UMSL. Odd as it may sound, one of the motivators is that there are fewer course offerings in stats. Why is that good? Well, I've already got a masters degree in statistics (technically Operations Research, but my thesis and nearly all my coursework was stats). So, I don't really need a bunch more courses. A masters degree is supposed to mean that you are qualified to learn things on your own.

What I need is research direction. And, because the course offerings in stats are a bit thin at UMSL, that's the normal pattern. Once you're through the core stuff, you just do directed readings and research. Perfect! I already know how to read a math text (note: that's not nearly the same thing as saying you know how to read). What I need is someone to provide guidance through the literature and offer feedback on my own findings.

No comments:

Post a Comment