Wednesday, March 22, 2017

PR

I'm going to interrupt the usual flow of this blog by inserting a running post mid-week.

I set a PR (personal record) today. A totally bogus one, for sure, but a PR nonetheless. It's the farthest I've ever run home from work. The defending champion was running home from RGA West (19 miles) followed closely by multiple runs home from AG Edwards downtown (17 miles). Today smoked them all: 25 miles.

Or something like that. I don't measure my routes particularly accurately. I'm sure it's more than 24. From RGA Headquarters, I ran into the valley, crossed the Missouri on the Boone Bridge, picked up the Katy trail to the Page Bridge, crossed back into St. Louis and home through Creve Coeur Lake Park.

This route was basically the same as the 19-miler home from RGA West, except that I had to run through the valley and cross the bridge to get to the Katy whereas, from RGA West, it was an easy 2 miles downhill to the same spot. My memory of the earlier run was that the Katy was a bit monotonous. I didn't really get that this time. Yes, it's an old railroad grade along a river, but it's pretty enough.

I will confess that, upon arriving at Green's Bottom (roughly mile 15) and looking over my right shoulder to see the RGA Headquarters on the other side of the river, I was a little miffed. There was no shorter way to connect those two points, but it seemed that running for two hours should have put me more than a mile from my starting position.

Certainly not a route that I can afford to run regularly, but I enjoyed it quite a bit today. It's my last real long run before Boston. I qualify that statement because I will have a few runs in the high-teens, which many people would call long runs. I guess they are, but I don't really consider a run "long" unless it goes over 3 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment