Friday, January 13, 2017

Big calc day

I spent pretty much the whole day working Calculus problems today. As my old calc text is the typical undergrad tome, I didn't run out of exercises to do. I think it's probably enough. By the end of the day, I felt like I was spotting the patterns quickly and solving them pretty consistently (I still drop signs and invert values all the time but, I did that 30 years ago, too, and it seems to be the type of mistake math professors forgive.)

One page from the book did provide some comic relief. It's a diagram demonstrating the inversion of functions:



Wow! That must be a pretty complicated function that you need to access a tape drive to solve it! I'm trying without success to come up with any tractable function that couldn't be computed using the chip out of the cheapest wristwatch sold in the last five years.

No comments:

Post a Comment