Sunday, January 29, 2017

SLOC Cold Nose

In 1997, I won an orienteering meet. It was just a little local thing, but it was an overall win. As I hadn't done much competition of any kind since retiring from cycling in 1993, it was the first win in several years. Since then, I've managed to win the overall at some race every year. Yesterday, the streak was pushed into its third decade with a win, fittingly enough, at a local orienteering meet. I posted the best time on the advanced course at the SLOC Cold Nose.

The course was the typical brutality one would expect at Babler State Park. It's a very steep park with lots of trails and thick woods. Therefore, you are generally left with either running the straight line and taking the obstacles head on or blasting full-speed on longer trail routes. After making mistakes on three of the first four legs, I switched to option 2 and just ran as hard as I could.

Definitely not my proudest navigation but a great workout. And, yes, despite my attempts to take these things less seriously, it's still very nice to bag a win here and there.


No comments:

Post a Comment