Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Drill

I posted a few days ago that what I really need is more drill. The traditional way to do that is flash cards. I made some flash cards and I've been using them. However it occured to me that I spend a lot of time looking at the ones I know already. What would be better would be a way to track which ones I'm doing best on and not look at them so much.

So, I wrote a little program to do that. It came together quicker than I expected. I pretty much had it done over lunch. It simply has a list of expressions with a graph indicating which are equal to which. It picks one at random (weighted by how well I've done), then picks possible wrong answers weighted by how often I've guessed wrong and inserts at least one right answer. If you click on an answer that matches, yay, it turns green. Otherwise, it turns red. You can keep clicking until you find the right one.

The "Ask" button clears the screen and picks a new set.

The rendering is done by sending the LaTeX code for the expressions out to codecogs to be turned into a gif image. It's good enough now for what I need. With a couple day's polishing, it could be useful to a more general audience. I might do that, but certainly not until after the Q,




No comments:

Post a Comment