Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Cranking it

I've been doing a lot of exercises in prep for the Q over the last couple weeks. I'm doing just fine with proofs, but not so great with computation. I've never been very good at computation (that's what computers are for!). However, from the review materials the department has provided, it looks like I can expect a few questions that will require grinding out some straightforward, but intricate, derivations. So, I need to be able to crank through this stuff without doing stupid things like dropping a minus sign or inverting a constant.

I think the best approach to this is to go back to the "brain intervals" that served me well a year ago in my Algorithms class. The Q is 5 weeks away. Five weeks of interval training can make a big difference in a running race. Hopefully, the brain adapts as quickly as the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment