Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015 Recap

I posted 2 subject-matter entries yesterday because I wanted to take this last day of 2015 to do a brief look back at the year. To say it was a good one would be quite the understatement.

First and foremost, family and church life are good. Feeling the strain, for sure, but good nonetheless. Among my close spiritual friends (which, obviously, includes Kate), there's a feeling of "we're in this together" rather than "this is tearing us apart."

Grad School: Applied, Accepted, Enrolled, 4.0 first semester. Have a thesis topic and a faculty sponsor. Hard to imagine that going much better.

Work: Finally got myself out of my old group (it wasn't a bad job, it's just that we had two leads for a small group which had us stepping on each other). New group serves the same users (Corporate Actuaries), but we are much bigger on the Analytics than the calculations, which is a better fit for me. So that's all good.

Running took a hit late in the year for obvious reasons but, taken as a whole, it was one of my better seasons. Two sub-3 marathons (first time doing that twice in a calendar year), a top-3 finish in a 100, and 4 outright wins in shorter events.

And, finally, there's this blog. In general, I think introspection is becoming a lost art. People are so busy doing stuff, they forget to think about why they are doing it. Spending a few minutes each day making observations about how this trip is going has certainly helped me stay balanced. If it's informative, amusing, or simply a curiosity to others, so much the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment