Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Brain intervals

About six weeks ago, I mentioned that I wanted to try out a new exam prep strategy where I do high-intensity problem solving; basically trying to get as close to a right answer in a relatively short fixed timeframe. Well, I finally got around to doing that today. Because my biggest issues are in computation, I picked the set of problems from linear programming that get linear systems into standard or slack form and find feasible and optimal solutions.

I'd rate the exercise as fairly effective. Maybe even highly effective, though it's too early to tell what the lasting benefit will be. Intervals (and repeats of other distances and intensities) are fundamental to physical training. The adaptations that come from such training are not merely strength of muscles and ability to process oxygen; there are plenty of neurological brought about as well.

Focusing specifically on cognitive response was what led me to what I call O-intervals (orienteers tend to put "O" in front of everything). These trained running at above competition pace while navigating relatively straightforward legs through the woods. The idea was that, under the duress of speed, the brain would be forced to simplify the problem. I don't have any real data to backup their effectiveness other than to note that the year I was most diligent in getting these workouts in was also the year I won two national championships.

I'll try to get in a few more sessions before my Algorithms final on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment