Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Quick thoughts on Algorithms

As with Languages, I'll give some quick thoughts today and follow up with a summary of the class in the next few weeks.

  • I would have liked the emphasis to be a bit more theoretical. This is grad school, after all. We can handle formal proofs. The text had those, but the lectures, assignments, and exams, really downplayed that. Instead, the focus was more on understanding specific algorithms. That's useful, but you're supposed to get that in undergrad.
  • The book (Cormen, Leiserson, Rivest, Stein: Introduction to Algorithms) is quite good. I won't be selling it back.
  • The midterm was rushed. Nobody did particularly well on it and I think that was largely due to running out of time. The final and assignments were appropriately paced.
  • The selection of topics was good. I'll probably at least review the topics skipped (hitting everything in the text would be a full-year course, minimum).
  • The instructor was animated and enthusiastic. I enjoyed the lectures quite a bit.
Overall, a really fine course.

No comments:

Post a Comment